Saturday 23 March 2019

Human Affection

It will be Mother's Day soon. Both my sons are affectionate, but the younger one is still a child, not yet ten, very much like the child in this poem.  It is still hard to believe that in a couple of years things will likely be quite different, harder still to imagine that it is only six short years before my elder boy is grown up and will, I learnt in the supermarket yesterday, be able to...buy matches!  Those walks to school with my youngest, thinking about both of my sons, reminded me of this quiet poem of much power:

Human Affection

Mother, I love you so.
Said the child, I love you more than I know.
She laid her head on her mother’s arm,
And the love between them kept them warm.
                                                                                  - Stevie Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment